Thursday, September 10, 2009

Leaving footprints

Today I saw an email update of the schedule for a musicians group I was a part of for the past 2 years. The only thing that's changed since I've been gone is... well... I'm gone.

It's such a weird feeling - moving on. You look back and everything looks exactly how it looked before except you're just not in it. Things are flowing smoothly there and you struggle to remember the hectic days you knew it would all fall apart if you let it. You know they say if you did your job right nobody will need you when you go - they'll be organized, equipped and strong enough to continue on without you. And they are. They're doing great.

So where does that leave me? It leaves me wondering how much of my identity is wrapped up in what I do and my position as opposed to my identity being an definition who I am.

*Light Bulb*

All that is affected by me is merely evidence of my existence... it's not my existence - it's no my purpose for existing. We can't live for what's been or even what is or will be presented to us to live in and through - we live as who we are and welcome new experiences with which to explore the depth of wealth that has been invested in us by an amazing Creator.

While what we do does not define who we are - we do leave our footprints behind and they're very important.

No comments: